Meteor is an ultra-simple environment for building modern web applications. What once took weeks, even with the best tools, now takes hours with Meteor.
Before we started our star trek every one of us was an amateur in some web technology: Ruby on Rails, Node.js, .NET, Python or PHP. But we had one thing in common - we admired the web. Meteor is a framework that united us all.
Why did we choose Meteor:
- Collaboration - It’s a lot easier to establish a collaboration within the development team. Everyone in our team is a full-stack Meteor developer so we can help each other if someone doesn’t know something.
- Modularity - We take full advantage of Meteor’s packaging system by creating reusable components that accelerate the development process.
Why do entrepreneurs choose Meteor:
- Speed - Meteor is great for building an MVP (Minimal Viable Product) and prototyping because it uses one language on the back end and front end. Even more: it can share the same piece of code with both server and client;
- Quality - it’s possible to provide a Facebook-quality application without Facebook’s funding;
Hybrid cross-platform development. One code runs on multiple platforms.
Some people asked me what’s the difference between the MEAN-steck and Meteor. Here is my answer, the most concise but not the least profound:
First of all, Meteor is a powerful ready-to-use tool for building modern web applications. Let developers do their work. Check out Meteor Principles to understand it better:
- Data on the Wire. Meteor doesn't send HTML over the network. The server sends data and lets the client render it.
- Database Everywhere. You can use the same methods to access your database from the client or the server.
- Latency Compensation. On the client, Meteor prefetches data and simulates models to make it look like server method calls return instantly.
- Full Stack Reactivity. In Meteor, realtime is the default. All layers, from database to template, update themselves automatically when necessary.
- Embrace the Ecosystem. Meteor is open source and integrates with existing open source tools and frameworks.
- Simplicity Equals Productivity. The best way to make something seem simple is to have it actually be simple. Meteor's main functionality has clean, classically beautiful APIs.
It is your choice to use or not to use Meteor.js in your production applications. We made ours and we don’t regret. Meteor became very popular since the beginning of the 2014th and still has a great velocity.